Homeownership comes with its fair share of ups and downs. While you get the freedom to make your space truly your own, you also inherit the problems that inevitably arise over time. But don’t fret; not all issues require a call to the pros. In this blog post, My Local Handyman in Brisbane offers solutions to five common household problems that you can quickly fix yourself.
1. Unblocking a Clogged Drain
- Drain cleaner or a homemade solution (baking soda and vinegar)
- Remove any visible obstruction from the drain opening.
- Use a plunger to try and loosen the clog.
- If the plunger fails, pour a drain cleaner or a mixture of baking soda and vinegar down the drain.
- Flush with hot water.
2. Patching Up Small Holes in the Wall
- Spackling paste
- Putty knife
- Use a putty knife to apply spackling paste to the hole.
- Allow the spackle to dry.
- Sand the area until it’s smooth.
- Paint over the patch to match the rest of the wall.
3. Fixing a Squeaky Door
- WD-40 or a silicone-based lubricant
- Paper towel
- Identify the squeaky hinge.
- Apply a small amount of WD-40 or silicone-based lubricant to the hinge while moving the door back and forth.
- Wipe away any excess lubricant with a paper towel.
4. Tightening Loose Cabinet Handles
- New screws (if necessary)
- Identify the loose handle and the screws that attach it to the cabinet.
- Tighten the screws with a screwdriver.
- If the handle remains loose, you may need to replace the screws with slightly larger ones.
5. Stopping a Running Toilet
- Adjustable wrench
- Flapper valve (if necessary)
- Open the toilet tank and identify the problem. Usually, it’s either a faulty flapper valve or an issue with the float.
- If it’s the flapper valve, unhook the old one and replace it with a new one.
- If the float is the issue, adjust its position until the water level in the tank stops at the fill line.
While some household problems will require professional help, many minor issues can be quickly and efficiently handled on your own. Armed with this guide, you’ll be well on your way to becoming your own handyman for basic home repairs. However, if you ever encounter a problem that’s beyond your DIY skills, My Local Handyman in Brisbane is always ready to help. Happy fixing!